Who We Are
Founder and Managing Director: Mark Gorton
As founder and Managing Director of Tower Research Capital, Mark Gorton leads the strategic direction of the firm. A groundbreaking entrepreneur, Mark has launched a diverse constellation of finance and technology companies, including Lime Brokerage, Fluent Medical, and LimeWire. Prior to founding Tower in 1998, Mark worked as a fixed-income proprietary trader at Credit Suisse First Boston, consistently attaining the highest profits in his group. He began his career as an engineer at Martin Marietta (now part of Lockheed Martin), specializing in digital signal processing and speech recognition. Mark graduated magna cum laude from Yale University with a B.S. in electrical engineering and went on to earn an M.S. in electrical engineering from Stanford University and an M.B.A. from Harvard Business School. Also an accomplished advocate for green transportation, Mark founded OpenPlans, an open-source software project dedicated to collaborative urban planning, and helped to launch the New York City Renaissance Campaign, Streetsblog, and Streetfilms.
- The HFT Believer (Traders Magazine; February 2015)
- Questioning the Car: A Walk with Mark Gorton (Urban Omnibus; August 31, 2011)
- Peer-to-Peer Pioneer sees New York Bicycles Pier-to-Pier (Wired; August 29, 2011)
- 50 Visionaries Who Are Changing Your World: Mark Gorton (Utne Reader; November/December 2009)
- LimeWire Creator Brings Open-Source Approach to Urban Planning (Wired; January 30, 2009)
- Speed Merchant (Trader Monthly; June/July 2008)
Tower operates around the clock and around the globe, with offices in New York, Chicago, South Carolina, London, Singapore, Hong Kong, and India. Tower’s subsidiaries include:
- Latour Trading LLC, a US broker-dealer
- Tower Research Capital Europe Limited
- Tower Research Capital India Pvt. Ltd.
- Tower Research Capital (Singapore) Pte. Ltd.
- TRC Markets LLC
Latour Trading LLC rings the Opening Bell – September 20, 2011
Man Vs. Machine: Seven Major Players in High-Frequency Trading, CNBC.com – September 13, 2010
Lime’s Gorton Trades Fast, Fights Suit, Seeks Car-Free Utopia, Bloomberg Markets – May ’07